Seeing I couldn't blog while in Raleigh North Carolina because of a WIFI shortage, I'll play a little catch up. I arrived at the Raleigh Airport at approximately 10:30 in the morning on Jan 8th. My departing flight to London Heathrow was at 6:20 that night, and it took all of 5 episodes of my new favorite show Chuck, and 3 complete tours of the airport in Raleigh to fill my 8 hour layover.
I sat in front of an older couple on the plane who happened to be going to India to sit under the tree that The Buddha sat under while he contemplated what he was on Earth for, and how he should live his life. Anyways, a 30 year old lady sat next to me and she was going to teach in Barthelona. I slept a little bit, but the best part about my flight was when we were flying above London waiting for a runway to clear and we got to see the moon. It was the yellowest FULL moon I have ever seen. It was absolutely amazing, flying into London, and seeing an almost gold medal in the sky, pretty sweet. Getting to London Heathrow was juuuussst the beginning!
While waiting in line at customs, I stood in front of a stinky person, and was also behind one as well. Stink sandwich, awesome. The black lady who checked my passport didn't seem to like the fact that I was studying abroad in some podunk college named Harlaxton, BUT I got through and proceeded to find my luggage. The baggage claim was a bit of a melting pot. There were more cultures in this baggage claim than I have ever seen. I saw ladies who literally had ONLY their eyes covered, as well as guys rocking mullets that would be considered hazing to sophomores Baker U, or Grapevine High. Anyways, my baggage came, but couldn't help but notice an Indian woman repeatedly stating that her bag was long and black to her husband (haha) naturally, 90% of the bags were long and black and I think her husband was very confused.
We all got our luggage and met the Harlaxton rep where we were given tags according to which section of the Manor we would be living in. I got a blue ribbon while the rest of the group seemed to get red, except for Kyla, and my new made friend Aaron (William Jewell). Our plane arrived at 6:50, and we didn't get on our "coach" (bus) until around 10:30. A lot of new names were being processed.
Luckily, since we were the first flights to arrive, we got to got SOUTH (the opposite direction of Harlaxton) and go to Gatwick airport to get the maybe 5 arrivals they had there. We were all tired of traveling and just wanted to get there when George, our bus driver who liked to repeat that London was always sunny as a sarcastic joke to whomever would listen, decided to take a 45 minute rest stop. WE DIDN'T NEED A REST STOP! We were tired and ready to get to school, but didn't want to sleep or rest so we could beat the infamous jet lag that everyone always talks about (beat it in one day by the way, I'm good to go).
So thanks to George, we arrived to Harlaxton around 3:30, yep 5 hours on a bus after more than 9 hours on a plane and quite a bit of waiting time. But we were here so thats all that matters.
-brad the brave
Friday, January 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment